In August, for our anniversary, I decided to surprise Billy with tickets to the Monster Jam World Finals in Vegas. Over the last three years, since Billy was diagnosed with MS, we have tried to take every opportunity possible to do the things we enjoy...now. I knew that if we didn't take the opportunity to do it now, that it would probably just remain a dream of Billy's.
Last Tuesday, me, Billy, and the boys started our road trip to Sin City and I must say that we had the time of our lives and I discovered that I am a redneck at heart! This is how our trip went:
Day 1: Drove to Vegas with stops along the way to the Lehi Dinosaur Museum and the Lehi RollerMills (where Foot Loose was filmed). Arrived in Vegas, checked into Circus Circus Hotel and played games and caught a circus act in the Midway.
Day 2: Drove over Hoover Dam and took a tour of the visitor center. Went back to the hotel and enjoyed more games and circus acts at the Midway. Took a stroll up the strip to check out some of the hotels and casinos.
Day 3: Took a drive to Fremont Street and checked out all the shops. Drove back to the hotel and went to the Midway (again!). Took a drive farther down the strip to check out more hotels. Checked out the Nascars at the Nascar Cafe. Drove back down to Fremont Street once it got dark to enjoy the Fremont Street Experience.Day 4: Drove to the Sam Boyd Stadium at UNLV to the Monster Jam World Finals party in the pits. Watched the monster truck qualifying event. Went back to the hotel (and of course, the Midway).
Day 5: Drove back to Sam Boyd Stadium to participate in day two of the party in the pits. Watched the Monster Jam World Finals.
Day 6: Spent one last morning at the Midway. Went to the shops on Fremont Street. Drove home.
Highlights of Our Trip:
- walking across Hoover Dam - AMAZING!!!
- meeting Dennis Anderson (the driver/owner of The Grave Digger monster truck) after waiting in line for two hours to get his autograph
- taking a ride in the back of the Blue Thunder monster truck
- seeing the looks on the faces of all three boys as they climbed inside one of the actual Grave Diggers
- meeting Travis Pastrana (motocross free-styler, owner of Pastrana 199 and Nitro Circus monster truck)
- watching the Captain's Curse monster truck roll up into the stands and over 5-10 rows of bleachers at about 60 mph
...and it looks like we are all set on doing it again next year!!!